Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Third Occupant !

“♫... Manwanchit phal paawe , kasht mite tann ka...Om jai jadgish... ♪ ” – It was navraatri time and we were just finishing the aarti, when the vaanar-sena started howling at my door. “I have to go” – I said to my mother. “First finish the aarti then you can go” – she replied. So, after taking the ‘dhoop’ from the ‘Akhand Jyot’ (The one that burns for whole nine days of navraatri continuously and mummy has been keeping it since last 21 years on every navraatri) I left.

I opened the door; all my building kids were shouting and running around. “Bhaiya, jaldi chalo- Dandiya shuru hone wala hai” – said little Manpreet .His sister Gurpreet whispered from the back – “Bhaiya toh gunde lag rahe hain iss dress mein” And all of them started smiling .Actually I was wearing white kurta-paijaama with a big red tilak on my forehead. Suddenly weather-alarm start ringing in my head– “Fisherman refrain from going into the sea without proper nets and bait. Some ‘fishes’ might escape :)”.

So, I asked the kids to wait for 5 minutes as I have to make an ‘important official call’ .And, I came out dressed in blue jeans and white shirt...;) Me- “Lets go, baccha-party” ...As we were about to leave – little Gurpreet started humming the song “♫ Ishq hotaa nahi sabhi ke liye .... ♫”... And all of them went nuts hearing it and rolled on the floor laughing ...I also couldn’t control my smile ...“Bhaiya, Your imparted quick-wit lessons are backfiring on you” - said Manpreet. I had surrendered myself to the kids this time.

Just while getting down the stairs my cell started ringing and it showed “Kanghi Chor – Calling” (long story behind that name :) . I picked up – “Haan bol” ..(This is how cool guys say stuff like– Hi-How are you-I am fine –Thank you) . He said – “TS, I need my R.S.Aggarwal book right now. My brother’s campus interview is tomorrow” ... “Urgent hai kya?” – I asked ...”Haan yaar, abhi chaiye” – he replied. The kids were waiting for me downstairs. But this was also urgent -”Theek hai, mein aata hoon”

“Mummy, I’ll be back in 10 minutes. I m taking the bike” – I shouted while leaving the house.... “Beta, helmet le ke jaana” – said mummy- to which I replied “Hmmm” and left just like that! [When children start ‘hearing’ their parents instead of ‘listening’ to them- They are grown up!!!]

So I took off in a rush so as to return quickly to bang the sticks together asap. The street lights were dim and the road was in bad condition due to rains. At one of the turnings I still don’t know how it happened, but 10 seconds later – my shattered bike was lying in a road side trench and all my clothes were covered with blood. The bike had slipped in a big crater inside the road and I was dragged all along. Some nearby residing people came to help me. One murmured – “This spot is getting dangerous. Yesterday one biker also fell here. His thigh bone was fractured and got 9 stitches in his head”. Another one asked me - “Bhaiya , dekho zyada toh nahi lagi na ?”

I did a little MJ break-dance steps – “Bones- CHECKED” ... Next was (a3+b3) =(a+b)(a2 – ab + b2) – “Brain – CHECKED” :) ...Little relieved but I was bleeding profusely so I called my friend Ashu – “Yaar, mera chhota sa accident ho gaya hai ..Come at the chowk and get some money along”. Just afer that call, I got a call from home. It was mom – “Tu theek toh hai na?” She asked directly. I was taken aback for one second – I mean -Howcome? How!!?? ..But I replied – “Haan mein theek hoon , aata hoon 10 min mein”. So after the dressing was done - my friends took me home.

As mom saw me in that state, ‘lecture’ started :( .But I was still amazed by that phone call and asked mom for explanation. She took me to the pooja room. And she pointed towards the ‘Akhand Jyot’ – She showed me the black spots on the brass metallic diya caused due to sudden outburst of the flame and when she touched the diya to adjust the flame - it was ice-cold (And it was burning since last 7 days).I also touched the diya – It was still ice-cold and the chill shook my spine. My eyes went moist and I realised that all this while I thought only me and my mother stayed in our home. But I was mistaken - There was she – The Third occupant! Jai Maata Dii !

2 comments:

Unknown said...

JAIKARA SHERA WALI DA....BOL SAANCHE DARBAAR KI ..JAI.......JAI MATA DI!

Timeless Classics: Tales of Travel said...

Chaa gaye paaji...really well expressed...good memory..

Rating